8.09.2009

sixteen. number 2 in honduras. so read the first one.

this is my second entry from honduras, which will be posted along side my other one, but this one, well, it's about my new life here. so we changed families once again, and my luck has still yet to falter. knock on wood. tfu tfu tfu. that's me spitting over my left shoulder. anyway, my new host family is dope. they're younger than any other one i've had, but they're really awesome nevertheless. my host dad, who's only 29, works as a cable installation guy. he spent six years living in the states, in colombus ohio actually, working in construction, but he returned home to be with his wife and three kids. when he first got back, he bought himself a bus to work as a driver from here to the nearest big town, but the job turned out to be lacking in profit, so now he works with one of his brothers as a cable guy. he loves it. his other brother is the chief of police for the whole municipality, and we spent part of the evening discussing beuracracy, and how the junta de agua and patronato function. basically, im with the best people to learn from. my host dad can teach me construction, while my host uncle can tell me about the functionality of the govt. im set. otherwise, training is going well, although slowly. my spanish is improving greatly, in fact, i may soon start writing the majority of these entries in both spanish and english to practice. maybe. no promises. but i am getting pretty comfortable talking about all sorts of topics, so, maybe ill achieve some level of fluidez pretty soon. i'm excited. otherwise life has been pretty slow. i found a scorpion among my things the other day, but it was sleeping, so it was a piece of cake to smack with my shoe. i keep encountering wildlife here on a regular basis, and have been snapping some pictures, although I don't know when I'll have an opportunity to post them. hopefully soon. for now, i'll just save them and hope you guys get to see them soon. alright, so for now, ill go, but i will think of more things to write as soon as we learn them in tech training or whatever. miss you all. nos vemos.

part 2. so i have learned much in the last few days here in honduras. i built a wall with my host brother in zarabanda. this happened before i moved to my current site. i learned how to mix concrete with ease, how to build a foundation, how to lay cinder blocks atop something called a castillo, or an iron housing which supports the blocks. basically, i feel comfortable now in constructing a home for myself. not really. but im getting close. other than that, i learned how to wash my clothes using a pila and a rival. so a pila is the way wather is kept here in honduras. since communities don't have continuous running water, they fill these huge concrete tub things in the morning, when there is water, and then they use it all day long. well, the cement thing is called a pila. the rival, is a washboard built into the pila. so, i washed a whole load of laundry using only my hands, and it was awesome. i feel like i'm almost ready to move out on my own now. again, not really. but im getting closer. otherwise, i have spent the last few days trying to suck up as much spanish as possible. for example, when my lock broke today on my door, i had to go and buy a candado nuevo de la pulperia, que queda en la esquina, close to my house. how you like that? a little spanglish for you guys. alright, for now, cheque. me voy. nos vemos.

No comments:

Post a Comment