1.08.2010

hn33.

alright so, a few observations:
one, hondurans breast feed anywhere. not the men of course, although that may be the next step. women will do it anywhere they can sit, stand or lie down. on the bus, in restaurants, in public markets, and in your face. i went to eat lunch yesterday, and watched a woman devour fried chicken while her new born munched away on her, well you know. then as i walked to get a ride, i saw another woman weighing and selling beans with a baby at her breast. i understand the no shame thing, but wouldn't you want to concentrate on the baby nipple interchange. what if something goes wrong?
two, knowledge in honduras is frequently like blind faith. people learn things from others by word of mouth, and no questions are ever asked. and when they try to pass the knowledge on to me, they are taken aback by my question of, and why is that? this happens most frequently with my horse, but also with all sorts of technical knowledge. it's as if their whole idea of aquired knowledge is almost religious. if you say it, it must be true, because the person has some experience. but its as if no one is ever taught to question or think logically. why would you tie something there like that? well because, my grandfather did it, my dad did it, and now i do it. but why? i have no fucking clue. and what if there's something better, or more correct? well there isn't. shut up you're a dumb gringo. that's what i think they think anyway. the worst part, is that i think this problem stems from their whole society being this way. school, church, home life. its all the same.
three, one should stay away from jalon drivers who stop for a beer. because they don't just stop for one beer. they stop once for one, then go, then another, then go, and then 8 beers and 2 hours later, you're thinking, i gotta get out of this car. the worst part, is that this person might be from your community, even a friend, and you're screwed because you may insult him by refusing the ride. but for purely safety reasons, you can't even think of riding with him. the catch 22 is a tough one, and you start wishing that you had just picked a different jalon two towns back.
four...i'm gonna think of this one later.

3 comments:

  1. I laughed and laughed and laughed... great observations!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think I'll use your metaphor of knowledge is blind faith when I talk about the things that frustrated me about Honduras.

    By the way, I do the opposite with you. With anything you tell me I automatically discredit it without asking why. That makes me the anti-Honduran, which, if you ask me, isn't so bad...

    ReplyDelete
  3. harsh, but funny. miss you juancito.

    ReplyDelete