11.02.2009

hn18.

I think it's about time for a new post. First and foremost, my ass healed. Completely. Hopefully, this sunday when I do the ride, it will not be as difficult. I think some of my nerve endings back there died, so it should be an improvement. This past week was somewhat difficult. I spent the beggining part of it researching and writing a portion of a Small Project Assistance Grant, which I hope to submit this week. If it goes through, it should provide funding for the vermiculture project I hope to complete. I also started preparing the space that we have. Last friday I spent all day chapeando with a machete, clearing vegetation around the building and leading to it. I also began the tedious work of digging stairs into the hill, because otherwise the surface wasnt safe enough to walk on. That work was finished today, by me and my child laborers. Yeah thats right. I have a bunch of kids helping me with the project, and it seems that they are much more capable than I am at hard labor. Within a day, we finished the whole stairs, took out a wall in the building, and cleaned a third of it. The next two hours will serve for the rest of the cleanup. After that all that is left is a little cement work, and then the place is ready for my worms. Hopefully, the project wont fail, and all this work will actually go towards something. However the most important thing to happen to me this week was actually yesterday, when for the first time in my life I built my own furniture. And not from IKEA, with those little wooden knobs and pre placed screw holes. No, from scratch. Saturday I spent all day cutting the wood, planing it (i think thats the term), and bringing it to my house. Sunday, within a few hours, with the help of my uncle, we put together the bookshelf/closet/table combo that I had designed in my head. It came out awesome. And it's surprisingly stable, spacious, and even more useful than I thought. You can all check out pictures on picasa. anyway, otherwise no interesting stories. i guess my life is kind of lame right now, and the exciting things for me are probably not that interesting to you. but regardless, im gonna keep writing, and some of you may keep reading. probably just my mom, brother, dad, and a few of you other devoted visitors. its a shame that I can't write anything very deep just yet, but my experiences have so far been very simple. the reflection will come with time. anyway, hope all is well.

1 comment: