7.08.2009

six.

written 07/07
so since I dont have internet regularly anymore, blogs will be posted intermittantly but written almsot daily, so if you care read ahead, and see what you have missed of my adventures. if life get's boring, ill write less, i promise. anyway, here' s last night's post.

Dominos. I never would have thought that I would spend hours playing dominos. But you know, that's exactly what I did today with the Dona of another voluntario. My day began with a small scare, as I thought that I may have bed bugs in my host family's house. However, after an extensive investigation, it seems that instead my problem is mosquitos that can bite through a mosquitera, or mosquito net. Apparently, since my mosquito net is smaller than my bed, my rolling around during the night is leading to direct contact with the mosquito net, which permits mosquitos to bite through the tiny holes. At least no bed bugs. Anyway, spanish classes went well, after which we recieved instruction on how to dance merengue, bachata, and how to play dominos. Apart from the dancing, I got hooked. Dominos is a game which seems quite simple, however the underlying strategy is as complex as poker. One can count fichas, or tiles, and even predict the movements of your opponents. At first I thought that I had a natural affinity for the game, as I won during our practice rounds at school, but once I played against a true dominican, I was shown the reality of the game. I lost almost every time, against moves that I didn't expect. And it was as if the dona knew what I had before she placed her tiles. But whatever, she'll lose sometime. And then I can laugh in her face and dance around. Not really, but in my mind I will. Anyway, the rest of the day was spent at a local bar, drinking Presidente, and talking about volunteer life, and gossiping. It seems that volunteers are like waiters. When you stick enough young people together and force them to interact, they'll talk mostly about each other when they separate into little groups. But what else can you do. When you spend all day with each other, what else can you talk about when you're drinking. However I am quickly realizing, that even though there are 50 of us here, I love almost everyone. Other than 1 or 2 people in the group, everything is very friendly, interesting, and overall good people. I am quickly realizing that it takes a specific type of person to join the Peace Corps, and it is exactly the type of person that I like to associate with. And although I miss my friends a lot, and by a lot, I mean a lot guys, don't think I've forgotten you, I'm glad that I am in a circle of people I can call my own. Now, I'm getting all nostalgic, so I'll end this post, but again, I hope all of you are well, and I wish I could share this experience with all of you.

No comments:

Post a Comment